Sunday, February 18, 2007

If horse racing is the sport of kings, then surely bowling...is a very good sport as well.
I swear, I honestly thought I heard 'radiate his shoes!' last night.
No post yesterday, since I took the oldest bowling, and he got to throw an assload of frames. Kid bowled like five full games at least. His arm held up pretty well, but towards the end his hand hurt too much to use the finger holes.

I am mildly surprised, although I've mentioned it a few times, I've never posted anything from Nexus before. Although it's publication history has been a bit erratic, it's been one of my favorite series since I was in high school. Just last year though, I finally got the third issue from Capitol Comics, with the Flexi-record insert. Now if I only had a record player...

I don't know if anyone remembers, but around 1991 or so, First Comics, still the publisher of the bulk of Nexus issues, was going to switch over from monthly floppy comics to quarterly original graphic novels. Or something. There was a distribution problem or licensing, and for one or more reasons it never panned out.
Trust me, the thigh-boots seem weird at first, then eventually you can't picture Nexus without them.
For those of you with an empty spot in your lives where Nexus should be, it's the story of Horatio Hellpop, agent of the alien Merk, given fusionkasting powers to kill mass-murderers. Throw into that telekinetic heads, a vast 25th century Soviet space empire, and one of the best supporting casts ever. And Steve Rude designs, influenced heavy by classic Space Ghost and Star Trek.
By the way, I've been trying to find Point Beer for years.  Thanks a lot, Baron.If you can spring for it, Nexus Archives are reprinting the series in a very sharp hardbound; but if you aren't sure, don't want to go in blind, or are merely cheap; back issues of Nexus Legends should be fairly easy to come by. New issues should be out this year, and should be well worth a try. Ideally, I'd like it if someone could produce a Nexus action figure, too; but no, we'll probably get Badrock and Diehard instead...

Today's panels are from Nexus: Alien Justice #3, "The Split" Written by Mike Baron, pencils by Steve Rude, inks by Gary Martin. Great looking package on that one from Dark Horse, and if you can find it, the back cover on that one is one of Rude's best.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

Gosh, Nexus WAS great. I had a terrible crush on Judah.

Marc Burkhardt said...

Nexus rules!

Those Nexus hardcovers are pricey, but well worth the money.