Friday, July 27, 2007

Oh, the hell with it.
You may recognize the style, I give you that.
You know how that first day of work back from vacation can be tough? I wasn't even gone that long, but a lot of changes went down while I was out. I had to do three training sessions yesterday...or was it two training and a performance review? Ah, it's all run together.

So, I was going to take the rest of the week, and the weekend, off. I will keep working on a longer piece for the comic we've got a couple of panels from here. If you can guess the issue, I will eat my hat, after I take it off in salute.

As it turns out, I have to help my in-laws move this weekend, and might not even get to the Simpsons Movie tomorrow. And then the new Legendary Comic Book Heroes came in at the local Wal-Mart. Crappy photo, or crappy figure? Well, a little from column A, little more from column B.They're the new figures based on characters from different comic companies like Image and Dark Horse and 2000 AD, from Marvel Toys, which used to be Toy Biz, which used to make Marvel Legends. (Yes, Marvel Toys is making non-Marvel characters. Still, the ones I've seen so far have been really good.) My wife got me Madman, which came with a piece of the build-a-figure Pitt, and Timmy.

God, I hate you Timmy.

Originally, I thought the Timmy was going to be packaged with Judge Dredd. I'll probably get Dredd later, but I ended up being pretty impressed with the Madman figure, even though I haven't picked up a Madman comic since the Superman/Madman Hullabaloo years back. Mike Allred's been hit and miss for me on the writing side of things lately: I remember quite enjoying Red Rocket 7 until the last issue, and I haven't even flipped through the new Madman book yet.
Do not shed a tear for Timmy: he deserves this. He knows why.
Back to Timmy: I've never read Dale Keown's Pitt, and has an issue of that, or anything else from Keown, come out in recent memory? I'm honestly curious, and the Pitt figure might turn out to be pretty good. Still not sold on the idea of having to buy Superpatriot, Savage Dragon, and Ripclaw to build it, though. I like pack-in figures more than the build-a-figures, so I wanted Timmy to be a decent figure, and had expected him to be similarly articulated to the Franklin figure from the Fantastic Four box set. Instead, Timmy's a solid, inarticulated, lump. With terrible hair, and that's coming from someone who has had some aggressively terrible hair in his past. (My mom had old photos to show the Wife and Kids, and they were suitably mortifying.)

Still, Marvel Toys is off to a good start, and I'm very much looking forward to the Conan figure. And while I'm harshing on Timmy, I did have another reason for wanting that toy, which hopefully I'll get done soon. Have a good weekend!

3 comments:

SallyP said...

Is...is that Franklin who is kicking Timmy in the nads? I'm sorry, but this picture just cracks me up.

Anonymous said...

Reed DOES teach his children well!

googum said...

Yup, it's him. Franklin has more street cred (and joints!) than Timmy. Sad but true.