Friday, October 07, 2011

Remember the first time Batman met the JLA?


You probably don't remember it like this: from Batman Confidential #53, "Super Powers, chapter four: Altered States" Written by Marc Guggenheim, art by Jerry Bingham. Batman crashes the JLA's cave headquarters in search of a case file on a killer he's tracking; and runs afoul of Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and the Martian Manhunter. While Bats correctly guesses Wonder Woman is the most powerful, he still really hurts his hand punching her.


Although this was running out the clock both on this book and until the DC relaunch; this was a mildly interesting storyline involving several flashbacks: one to Bruce's training with apparently super-powered martial artists, another to an early JLA case with an alien vampire. Bingham varies his art and colors appropriately to the different time frames, to the point that I thought there were more artists here.

The trouble with getting a lot of books on sale, is that I picked up three of the five issues of "Super Powers." Need to look around for the other two sometime, even if it was probably apocrypha even when it was hitting the stands.

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I love how Batman's first instinct is to attack the team and punch Wonder Woman, he could have just as easily announced why he was there. But then if he wouldn't be the goddamned Batman he he did right?

Hey Goo, I'm having major problems with my computer, and I might even have to cancel my internet, so I won't be posting as much, so have a good weekend buddy.

plainwater said...

I saw some more of that fight on another website. Taking WW out with a kick? This has to be the most ridiculous fight scene in the history of ridiculous fight scenes.