Monday, June 10, 2013

A reminder why this series was forgotten:

Sometimes at the local comicon, or if I hit a store I haven't picked clean before, I check for some books I used to have but lost over the years. And then sometimes, I'm reminded why I lost them. Like today's book! From 1995, Tekno Comics Gene Roddenberry's Lost Universe #7, "Crash and Burn" Written by Ron Fortier, pencils by Mike Harris, inks by Aaron McClellan. With a nice Bill Sienkiewicz cover!

This was actually the last issue of this series, although it was quickly relaunched as Gene Roddenberry's Xander in Lost Universe. I want to say the Xander character was a cloned version of another from the first run, but I'm a little vague on the details, and he doesn't appear this issue anyway. The starship Deliverance loses power and nearly crashes into the planet Malay, but a plucky young engineer restores systems as the pilot figures the planet deflected the ship when it came too close. I know I read this issue when it came out, and I thought it was a little thin then, too; and it may or may not have had anything to do with the previous six or so issues. (This was the nineties, so there were a lot of #0 issues; the next one would be a #0.)

Also this issue, an appearance by Lady Sensua, who I think was the big bad behind the scenes through most of the book; and appeared usually in leather pants, leather jacket, and possibly a leather bra.


Lost Universe, or sometimes even more specifically Xander, was billed in ads as "The Final Legacy of legendary Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry." But it wasn't: both Andromeda and Earth: Final Conflict would come after had been cancelled. I was curious if anything from this comic was later used in those series, but didn't see anything that looked like it carried over yet. (I liked Andromeda, although I didn't see every episode, which may be why I can remember it fondly.) I don't recall if Lost Universe made it to the end of the line, before Tekno went under...

No comments: