Tuesday, December 30, 2014

"The End" Week: Weird War Tales #124!


From 1983, Weird War Tales #124, featuring the lead story "Old Enemies Never Die!" Written by Robert Kanigher, pencils by Topper Helmers, inks by Gary Martin.

The lead is a pretty standard piece for the long-running war anthology, as two foes battle over a woman over and over again, reincarnating and battling in different times. But there's a more personal page where longtime WWT stalwarts the Creature Commandos, G.I. Robot, and "R.K." are sentenced to death by General Paul Levitz "for rebelliously displaying signs of humanity." Their sentence is commuted, in that they're launched in an I.C.B.M. at Hitler's bunker, but instead disappear into space. I'm guessing Kanigher wasn't thrilled about the book being cancelled. But I wonder how he would feel knowing DC would to this day still bring them out every now and again, and G.I. Robot and the Creature Commandos would both appear in cartoons like Batman: the Brave and the Bold...I hope he'd approve.


1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Paul Levitz huh? Same guy as the one running the show @ DC for a long number of years? Cute.

Since you mentioned it, I've gotta go track down those Brave and the Bold episodes with GI Robot then.
TO THE INTERNET!!!!